Friday, September 24, 2010

My Space

It is not that I am being crowded out by people, or that I feel I deserve more space than I have;  I have a whole bed to myself...even a whole room.

 I am being hedged in by my communication devices: the bed control, the tv control, the phone, the laptop, the thesaurus, magazines, books, a little pile of papers that need tending to, a small baggie with my compact and lipstick...

I am having a hard time thinking, let alone writing. If my house has not always been impeccably clean, it was always neat. Clutter drove me crazy. (Only one of our children inherited the "neatness" gene; the other two thrive in disarray,) I still have a lot I want to say, but by the time I get the correct device in my surrounding (bed)scape, I want to pick up the magazine at hand, instead.

I was talking( complaining) to my Designated Daughter about this, when we both remembered a table Hospice had lent Bob, with a leg that slides under the bed and the table top can be moved over or beside the bed.

I just called Sue, my awesome nurse, and one will be delivered to me! 

 I probably won't write any more often, but I will be much more comfortable doing it.



4 comments:

  1. everything in it's place and a place for everything! then easily found....but in my case, still a mess, but it's my mess..

    but here's an odd thing - every time i come to your blog, google warns me that it might have adult content ... weird! yes you're an adult, but that wasn't what they meant ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Phyllis

    I was so moved when I viewed the BBC video that I checked out your blog and felt I would like to comment - so I have opened an account to enable me to write this.

    I live in England and my daughter suggested I view the BBC video that you made. I have to say it brought me to tears. You are truly an inspiration to all who watch it. I have now sent the link to many of my friends.

    My father is nearly 94 and still uses his computer and my Mother is 88 so I think perhaps we should teach her :-)

    Keep writing your blogs and I for one shall certainly read them

    Best wishes
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... I say Wow to both of you... Phyllis and the poster above me... Lesley... for her parents. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walls

    With no consideration, no pity, no shame,
    they have built walls around me, thick and high.
    And now I sit here feeling hopeless.
    I can't think of anything else: this fate gnaws my mind -
    because I had so much to do outside.
    When they were building the walls, how could I not have noticed!
    But I never heard the builders, not a sound.
    Imperceptibly they have closed me off from the outside world.

    Constantine P. Cavafy

    p.s. Sue please get this table for our lovely Mrs Greene! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete