Sunday, November 7, 2010

with apologies to Nora Ephron, who feels bad about her neck

I feel really bad about my legs. Thay have served me well, and we have had  mutual respect for each other. Only twice did I fall and really hurt them: once on a tennis court, once rushing to get a frozen yogurt cone and tripping over a planter..And, of yes, up the steps frpm the garage to the house at Harmons, helping to clean up the Bloody Mary remains. On July 4th.

They are medium-looking legs; no one ever said "wow. look at them gams", but no one averted their eyes because I had thinny, stick-like legs, either. Or did I wear long skirts or pants to disguise them. They were just my legs and they suited me fine.

Until I hit 91. And it's not as much that they look much worse, but they have mostly stopped working. During the day, with considerable help, I can use the walker for the short 26 steps to the bathroom. It's 26 when I am not shuffling or mincing along, but walking like a real person.On a walker.

At night, that is a different story. Back and forth in the wheel chair! I hate that. And I wish my legs would reconsider our happy, long relationship, and show a little gumption and let me get up and go.

14 comments:

  1. Much more worth your thoughts than Nora's neck, Wede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. History of dualism: "The classical emphasis originates in Plato's Phaedo. Plato believed that the true substances are not physical bodies, which are ephemeral, but the eternal Forms of which bodies are imperfect copies."

    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dualism/

    Best Wishes
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Phyllis,
    I have heard that we cannot control the aches or pains of age, but we can control our attitudes. Your attitude is to emulated by all of us who are younger and much less experienced with life and our own aging process. Hey, passion comes and goes with all of us.

    May God bless you. May you continue to pray for your family and friends and the very world we all live in the time you have so as not to live as though time were something we should kill.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in my thoughts this Christmas, Phyllis. Nollaig Shona...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! well I hope your legs will cooperate again soon, at least they'll be with you until the very end =) our limbs are so loyal, carrying us through thick and thin (literally)
    take care dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Phyllis. I've nominated your blog for a Stylish Bloggers Award, a peer-driven effort to recognize quality blogging. I hope to continue to read more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessed be Wede. Rest in the Circle of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God bless you Ms. Greene. I will miss your voice. Your family should know how many people you touched even though you never met any of us. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am saddened to hear of your passing, but I know you will forever be immortalized through the printed words you have left behind. May we all take comfort in them and learn from your wisdom. Thank you for sharing your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never met you, but I will miss you greatly, and will never forget you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear about Mrs Greene's death...
    We will all miss you...but your spirit is still with us. May your peaceful soul rest in peace lovely Mrs Greene...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although we never met - face to face - I felt that you were a friend to all.

    Thank you for coming into my life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog.

    May you rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pls learn Chinese "Tai Chi", best for health, besides swimming.

    ReplyDelete