Friday, October 22, 2010

Tough Love

Who knew that so much love can do you in (temporarily)?

Or that I could tell a lie, continuing to post as Wedeb90)?

I did and I do. Full confession.

My son, Tim and his daughter, Hannah, my youngest grandaughter, came for a pre-birthday celebration on October 14. We ate our version of the city's finest food: Rubino's pizza, City Barbecue, Block's bagels and Bob-bob Evans' chicken and noodles. My twenty year old could be six again, and I could be seventy. Only my digestive system knew for sure, and it said, ""Phyllis, you idiot, act your age, "but I wasn't listening. It was worth the small digestive price I paid.

By Wednesday, October 20, when wedeb90 became wedeb91, I thought I was ready for whatever small celebration would come along. Wrong. No one, not even Mother Theresa, could be so overcome with caring and goodwill. Twelve full hours of calls, gifts, flowers, phone calls, Facebook messgaes, e-cards....

After D.G, brought me Guiseppi's spinach lasagna, courtesy of lovely Vesna, I was completely out of steam. Yesterday, I was back to square one, where  Hospice had come in. I was diappointed in myself, and my unforgiving body. I couldn't walk. My legs locked in under me; I needed the wheel chair to get to the bathroom. My hands kept shaking. I could barely talk to my children. I slept almost all day, and then all night, opening my eyes long anough to watch Gray's Anatomy. ( I guess I thought it would make me feel better, to see people in worse shape than I.)

When I woke up this morning, I was fine. Back on the walker, like any good quarter back, staying "in the pocket", instead of hanging on for dear life at a 90 degree angle.

I didn't age 10 years overnight. I feel like the spring chicken I am, and you wil, I hope, be hearing from me as wedeb90 when I might actually be wedeb95.

Blessed be.


7 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs Green,

    I sent this message to you on your birthday as part of the comments section in your blog post entitled, "My friend Alice". This message is not related to the above post about your friend Alice which was very touching to read. I hope your friend Alice knows how you feel about her.

    This is to wish you a very happy 91st birthday for 20th October. I read on your blog post from 28 November 2009 that you had written, "I was ninety-years old on October 20 this year of our Lord, 2009. I love being 90." I hope you will also love being 91. Many happy returns.
    With best wishes, Bronte

    P.S. You are allowed to "push the boat out" as the saying goes and eat all of your favuorite things on your birthday. After all, it is only once a year. Here are some good quotes about birthdays:

    "The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm." - Aldous Huxley

    "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

    "We know we're getting old when the only thing we want for our birthday is not to be reminded of it." ~Author Unknown

    "I'm at an age when my back goes out more than I do." - Phyllis Diller

    "Count your life by smiles, not tears.
    Count your age by friends, not years."

    "You know you are getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

    "As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two." - Sir Norman Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday for October 20th Phyllis. May there be many more! I love reading your blog. You have a real way with words. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday for the 20th!Your birthday feast sounds wonderful! I'm Glad you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated Happy Birthday , young lady , I hope you have many more .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to my favorite 91-year-old in the whole wide world! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many happy belated returns on your birthday! In your dreams you will be whatever age you choose to be...and that will influence the age you are in your "candles-on-the-cake" tally. The imagination is what fuels our reality and is our divine spark. The body may age but the imagination is forever young!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mrs. Green,

    Just wanted to say Happy Belated Birthday and let you know that I read your blog from time to time over here in Barcelona, Spain.

    Ever since I read the article about you and your blog in the BBC news I have been following your posts. You are an example to follow and a very positive person for whom I show admiration.

    With my best wishes.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete