Monday, May 24, 2010

Political news made personal

Alert: this is not a political blog, but, I think the reason it appeared on the front page of the Dispatch is a subtle reminder that it is much better to have the Casino in Franklinton than in the Arena District. Of course, if we hadn't had a constitutional amendment in the first place and blah, blah, blah...

Whatever.  The cut was an old car lot and the copy was:
        Holy intentions for an old car lot 
         West side Catholic Church is looking to a former Ford dealership as a new soup kitchen and museum
            Long before the dealership, the ground was home to the Convent of the Good Shepherd...
 This is where my story begins.

In 1942, after many months of heart-to-heart, Q&A, countless contention about the advisability of marrying a brand new infantry Second-Lieutenant, I finally was the winner and my parents would send me off to Oregon to be married. We announced our engagement in July, when the groom  was home on leave before moving to Medford, Oregon to help activate the 91st Division at Camp White.

Whether it was a delaying tactic or a sign of the times, we could not set the date until my trousseau: slips and gowns and a beautiful floor-length velvet robe could be hand stitched by the Nuns at the Convent of the Good  Shepherd. Those Nuns were very slow at their stitching. Time, and my groom, were a' wasting.

Finally, finally at long last, the arrangements were made to travel to Portland, Oregon for the wedding. Bob's mother and my mother went with me on the train. The flowers, the Rabbi, the photographer had all been arranged for. The small ceremony in a suite at the Benson hotel, and then dinner in a private dining room there, and off we flew to Medford. My mother gave us the left-over liquor which I tucked into my luggage. The plane, a DC-something was not pressurized, and as we snuggled in our bumpy seats, the tops popped off the scotch and the bourbon.

Arriving at the St. Francis Hotel at 3:00 a.m., our promised room had been given to someone else, but, they had an empty bridal suite for us. As we opened our luggage, the suite smelled like a brewery. The Nuns had slaved in vain! My navy, monogrammed lingerie bags had faded on to everything! We draped them around the living room and went to bed. Laughing.

And we lived happily ever after. Laughing for 56 years.


  1. love that story..and ya gotta love the nuns!!!! and nana for being so generous to pass on the leftover booze!!!

  2. Hi Phyllis,

    Believe it or not, I saw your story on a BBC news website, and immediately had to visit your blog. I admire anyone who is as well-spoken as you! Hope you don't mind me becoming a "follower."

    Anyway, this story made me laugh out loud. I can identify with "contention about the advisability" of marrying an Army officer! I eloped with mine (with our families' blessings, if not outright excitement) not long ago.

    Meg @

  3. I stumbled upon your blog, and I absolutely love it. I especially loved this story; I can picture it in my head. Sorry for the lost alcohol! lol. I'm addicted to your writing, so thank you very much for this blog.

  4. What a nice story and a lovely reminder that when bad things happen you can just as easily laugh about it and move on. Not to mention, it makes a nicer story.